It’s becoming glaringly obvious that a person can get away with serial murder for years in plain sight if they use the right cover and the right weapon.
Guns & insanity
On December 14, 2012 in Newtown, 20 children, 6 school staff members, and 1 mother died. The shooter, a troubled young man, was immediately cornered and took his own life.
Rightfully, we mourn and remember those lost.
There have been moments of silence for the dead.
A memorial service was held and the President spoke. Many dignitaries visited the area.
Since the shooting, outrage has ensued surrounding gun laws with the insistence that “something” must be done.
There have been numerous in-depth media reports about the shooter and his family and, as soon as the next official report is released, there will be many more.
Bombs & terrorism
On April 15, 2013 in Boston, 1 child, 1 police officer, and 2 other adults died. One bomber is dead and one is in custody within a week of the incident.
Rightfully, we mourn and remember those lost.
There have been moments of silence for the dead.
A memorial service was held and the President spoke. VP Biden is attending the funeral of the police officer.
Since the bombing, outrage has ensued surrounding how we track potential terrorists with the insistence that “something” must be done.
And the reporting since the bombing has been non-stop, front page, and in-depth.
Reporters are even contacting relatives in Canada and Russia. Every tiny thread of information is being followed-up and reported in excruciating detail.
Scissors & rhetoric
Over a period of several years, hundreds or potentially thousands of newborn babies and at least two young women were murdered in Philadelphia.
One man, insisting he is innocent, is on trial. His primary murder weapon was a pair of scissors. He had many accomplices.
There has been no moment of silence for the dead. No one is mourning the lost. No memorial service has been held. All the President will say is “no comment.” None of the dead got funerals.
Any outrage is pooh-poohed as misplaced or misinformed.
As far as anything in-depth being reported, most is merely a rehashing of snippets of the grand jury report or trial testimony.
No one is digging into the killer’s history, interviewing family, or following up on any leads beyond what is assumed to be obvious.
Murder in plain sight
In Philadelphia, inside the building at 3801 Lancaster, “Dr.” Kermit Gosnell and his staff killed in plain sight for years.
Now, his victims are being sacrificed on the altar of political theatrics.
The media and abortionistas on both the pro-choice and pro-life sides are so determined to use the Gosnell case to make political hay, they are all deflecting attention away from the central truth:
Gosnell is nothing more than a greedy, sociopathic, misogynistic serial killer. He was able to abuse women, deal drugs, and murder his victims in plain sight by operating under the guise of offering abortions and other “medical” services.That this is true is made plain in the very first sentence of the gruesome grand jury report that led to Gosnell’s arrest and indictment:
“This case is about a doctor who killed babies and endangered women.”
There are three points that the abortionistas and the media need to get clear on:
- First, while Gosnell’s chamber of horrors was labeled a “medical clinic” where “abortions” were offered, the procedures actually carried out don’t fit any reasonable definition of abortion.
- Second, nearly everything Gosnell did was illegal.
- Third, even though Gosnell is a “doctor” it’s clear that he completely disregarded safe and normal medical practices and engaged in gross negligence.
For decades, in plain sight, Gosnell got away with murder, abuse, and more while operating under the guise of offering legal, safe, medically acceptable abortions.
As a result of his ruse, he was ignored by the authorities and anyone else that could have put an end to the atrocities he and his staff were committing.
Now, by insisting that his case be held up as some bellwether for their causes, both the pro-choice and pro-life sides are in a way helping his defense by muddying the case with politics.
And everyone, including the prosecutor, is missing the point.
Already the judge has reduced the charges against Gosnell sending a subtle message to the jury that the remaining charges may not be as clear-cut as outlined in the grand jury report.
There’s a chance the jury will acquit.
After all, abortion is a legal medical practice in this country.
But, what Gosnell and his accomplices did was NOT abortion, NOT legal, NOT medicine, and should NOT be a political hot potato.
The thin blood-red line
The legal difference between ending a late-term pregnancy and sustaining a live-born preemie baby is slim.
One doctor, quoted in a New York Times editorial, wrote an essay describing the ironic tension of performing an abortion and then “immediately running to deliver” a preemie:
“I thought to myself how bizarre it was that I could have legally dismembered this fetus-now-newborn if it were inside its mother’s uterus, but that the same kind of violence against it now would be illegal, and unspeakable.”Whether you support or decry abortion, there is a thin blood-red line that separates the legal from the illegal.
Gosnell, his accomplices, and the “patients” in his “clinic” obliterated that line, killing with impunity.
Again, what he did wasn’t abortion, it was murder.
Otherwise, it was just malpractice.
Overcoming ignorance with ubiquitous information
So, what’s the point I’m driving to?
It’s simply this.
The pro-life and pro-choice abortionistas need to stop spinning and spewing their political rhetoric that’s making this story so radioactive no one wants to touch it.
The media must ignore the rhetoric and politics and start reporting on all the details of this story, following all the dangling loose threads treating it no differently than Newtown or Boston.
Gosnell was married at least three times, so go talk to the ex-wives and find out what they know. He has six children, so ask them how they feel about being raised on blood money. He came from the neighborhood where he had his “clinic,” so examine how he grew up to be a killer, preying on the people he claimed to care about. He made millions, so follow the money. He was investigated and raided for dealing in prescription drugs, so examine what’s happening on that side of the story.
Probably the single most significant factor that allowed Gosnell to get away with murder for so long was across-the-board ignorance:
- The “staff” was ignorant about the medically ethical and legal operation of an abortion clinic and their responsibility to report shortfalls.
- The “patients” were ignorant about their rights, options, and what were reasonable expectations of care.
- The public was ignorant about the failure of the responsible tax-funded authorities to do their jobs in monitoring Gosnell and similar facilities.
The only way to ensure such ignorance doesn’t allow another Gosnell to operate anywhere else in the country is for the media to report the story as broadly and deeply as they have the Sandy Hook shootings and the Boston bombings.
Those Gosnell murdered deserve nothing less.
Links to various articles about Gosnell:
- (Latest) Gosnell defense rests in Philadelphia abortion provider case (USA Today) : Gosnell's defense rested Wednesday without calling a witness. The jury is expected to hear closing arguments on Monday.
- Philadelphia Abortion Doctor Is Cleared on Some Counts (NYT) : “There is not one piece of real scientific evidence that any one was born alive,” Mr. McMahon told the judge, who heard the acquittal motions without a jury present.
- Abortion Doctor Kermit Gosnell Condemned by Pro-Abortion Rights Groups (ABC News) : "We have consistently said that this is a horrifying and outrageous case, that Gosnell ran a criminal enterprise, not a health care facility, and that he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law," Eric Ferrero, a spokesman for Planned Parenthood Federation of America, told ABC News recently.
- Kermit Gosnell Abortion Trial: Judge Throws Out Three Murder Counts Against Doctor (Huffiington) : An abortion provider charged with killing babies after they were born alive won a reprieve of sorts when a judge threw out three murder counts, but the death penalty still looms if he is convicted in four other newborn deaths.
- Kermit Gosnell, Pa. abortion doctor, still faces death penalty after 3 of 8 murder charges dismissed (Newsday) : The judge also upheld murder charges in a patient's overdose death. Gosnell is charged with third-degree murder in the 2009 death of 41-year-old Karnamaya Mongar, a recent refugee to the U.S. who died after an abortion at hiss Women's Medical Society. [Dr. Gosnell’s lawyer, Jack J.] McMahon argued that third-degree requires malice, or "conscious disregard" for her life. "She wasn't treated any differently than any of the other thousands of other people who went through there," McMahon argued Tuesday, in a preview of his likely closing arguments.
- Gosnell Trial Is a Wake-Up Call on Abortion (USNews) : I wish I could have been a nurse at abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell's clinic. Then I could have saved the life of the baby who was dropped in the toilet and "was trying to get out" or the full-term baby who screamed after he/she was born and then beheaded by Gosnell.
- Gosnell case: HuffPost host says left ‘made a decision’ to not cover trial (Washington Post) : In a HuffPost Live segment today on the issue, host Marc Lamont Hill made clear where his theoretical thinking lay: “For what it’s worth, I do think that those of us on the left have made a decision not to cover this trial because we worry that it’ll compromise abortion rights. Whether you agree with abortion or not, I do think there’s a direct connection between the media’s failure to cover this and our own political commitments on the left. I think it’s a bad idea, I think it’s dangerous, but I think that’s the way it is.”
- Learning the Right Lessons From the Philadelphia Abortion Clinic Disaster (Beacon Broadside): This was truly a chamber of horrors: a filthy facility, with blood stained blankets and furniture, unsterilized instruments, and cat feces left unattended. Most seriously, there was a jaw dropping disregard of both the law and prevailing standards of medical care. Untrained personnel undertook complex medical procedures , such as the administration of anesthesia, and the doctor in question repeatedly performed illegal (post viability) abortions, by a unique and ghastly method of delivering live babies and then severing their spinal cord. Two women have died at this facility and numerous others have been injured.
- Gosnell murder trial: Grisly testimony of abortions gone wrong (NBC News) : Gosnell, 72, was the owner and only licensed doctor at the Women's Medical Society in Philadelphia’s hardscrabble Mantua neighborhood. The clinic is not far from the middle-class area where he was raised by a gas station operator and a government clerk.
- Judge drops 3 murder charges against doctor Kermit Gosnell (NBC local news) : In an interview with the Philadelphia Daily News after the clinic was raided, Gosnell described himself as someone who wanted to serve the poor and minorities in the neighborhood where he grew up and raised his six children, who include a doctor and a college professor.
- Baby 'C' charges against Gosnell reinstated (WND) : The judge in the abortion murder trial here for practitioner Kermit Gosnell today said he made a mistake in dismissing a charge – and he reinstated the murder charge for Baby “C,” the baby that was too big to fit into the “shoebox.”
- How the DEA Finally Caught Kermit Gosnell (The Atlantic) : Regardless of how staunchly opposed to the war on drugs one may be, considering the grand jury report's exhaustive details about how multiple levels of state agencies failed to shut down Gosnell's practice, it seems that were it not for the DEA the alleged horror show might still be ongoing.